I just received this barley pilaf recipe in a newsletter, sounds pretty simple and very versatile!
Special Diet Notes: Barley Pilaf
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup barley, hulled or pot
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- ½ pound mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a medium saucepan, boil vegetable stock (set aside about 3 Tbs. for later use) over high heat.
- Add barley, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until tender (about 50 mins).
- Drain and place in a large bowl.
- In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 3 Tbs. of stock over medium heat.
- Add the scallion and celery and cook until the celery is crisp-tender (5-6 mins).
- Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables are soft and most of the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporate (about 5 mins).
- Stir the cooked vegetables into the barley and mix well. Serve hot or cold.