This caramelized broccoli with garlic recipe is from Cate O’Malley at Fit Fare:
The recipe comes from the September 2008 issue of Food & Wine magazine, and was listed in a 30 Best Fast Recipes Ever article. I completely agree with the best and fast assessment. It took just minutes to get it going and didn’t require too much babysitting. And hey, it’s healthy to boot. Like broccoli? MAKE THIS. I promise you won’t be disappointed.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads of broccoli (1-1/4 pounds total), stems peeled and heads halved lengthwise
- ½ cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add the broccoli, cut side down, cover and cook over moderate heat until richly browned on the bottom, about 8 minutes.
- Add the water, cover and cook until the broccoli is just tender and the water has evaporated, about 7 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil along with the garlic and the crushed red pepper and cook uncovered until the garlic is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Season the broccoli with salt and black pepper, drizzle with the lemon juice and serve.