Special Diet Notes: Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Nutmeg
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, top food allergy-friendly, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free and soy-free.
- 2 pounds medium-size Yukon Gold or white potatoes, scrubbed
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup dairy-free milk alternative, plus a few extra tablespoons if needed (oat milk works best, but unsweetened soy or almond may be used)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter alternative, cut in pieces (try Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
- White pepper to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Put potatoes in a saucepan and add enough water to just cover, along with a pinch of salt.Cover, bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 35 minutes, or until potatoes are very tender. Drain. Peel when cool enough to handle. Mash with a potato masher in a big bowl or puree with a food mill or potato ricer. Return potatoes to saucepan.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat milk alternative, do not boil. Heat potatoes gently over low heat in the saucepan in which they were mashed, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add 2 tablespoons butter and a little hot milk and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Over low heat, stir vigorously until puree is light and smooth. Gradually add remaining milk alternative, stirring vigorously, adding enough so that puree is soft but not soupy. Taste and add more salt, pepper and nutmeg, if desired. Serve hot.