Egg-Free, Gluten-Free Holiday Latkes
- 6-7 starchy, white potatoes peeled and shredded
- 1 onion, medium and grated
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups gluten-free bagels (such as Enjoy Life Foods Original Bagels), processed into small crumbs
- Salt (to your taste)
- Black pepper (to your taste)
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- Egg Substitute (1/2 tablespoon ground golden flax seed + 1 tablespoon water + ½ teaspoon vegetable oil)
- Set aside some vegetable oil for frying
- Mix potatoes with the onion until blended. Mix in potato starch and let sit a few minutes to get sticky.
- Add 1 cup Enjoy Life’s Original Bagel Crumbs and the remaining ingredients until well combined. The mixture should get sticky and be able to hold together and form well. If too runny, add a little more Enjoy Life’s Bagel Crumbs a little at a time.
- Heat up oil in frying pan.
- Scoop potato mixture with a cookie scoop into the frying pan. Press flat with spatula. Fry latkes on one side for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip and fry for another 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel for draining. Place in a warm oven on a cookie sheet to keep them warm.