This gingery black beans recipe was reprinted with the permission of Cathe Olsen and The Vegetarian Mother’s Cookbook:
“This is a deliciously simplle way to eat beans. I keep cooked beans in my freezer to make this but you can use canned, too.”
Special Diet Notes: Gingery Black Beans
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 tablespooon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked black beans with a little cooking water
- ½ teaspooon ground ginger, or 2 Tablespoons ginger juice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt to taste
- Warm pan over low heat and add oil. Add onion and garlic. Let onion cook 10 to 15 minutes to caramelize. Stir only if it looks like onion is burning.
- Add remaining ingredients. Heat about 10 minutes or until hot.
- Add additional water if necessary to keep beans from scorching.
- Note: If using canned beans, do not use the liquid. Drain and rinse canned beans. Use a little water to prevent beans from scorching.