This green bean casserole recipe was published with the Quad City Times.
Special Diet Notes: Green Bean Casserole
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 can French-cut green beans
- 1½ canisters vegan French-fried onions
- 1½ cups dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 cube veggie bouillon (if not vegan, may use chicken bouillon)
- ⅔ tablespoon corn starch mixed with 2-3 tablespoons cold water to use as a thickener
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- ¾ cup chopped mushrooms (button, crimini or portabella)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon each of garlic, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, sage, marjoram, thyme, plus any other herbs desired
- Heat soy milk and veggie bouillon in a saucepan, stirring until bouillon cube disintegrates. Do not boil or scald the dairy-free milk; just heat it.
- Sauté onions, carrots and mushrooms in the vegetable oil in a skillet.
- Add salt, pepper, and herbs and spices.
- Mix the starch and water well, and pour into the milk/bouillon.
- Stir well, because this will coagulate pretty quickly. Quickly add the can of green beans, the sautéed veggies and about half of French-fried onions, and stir well.
- Pour that mixture into a casserole dish or pan and top with remaining French-fried onions.
- Bake in oven at about 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until the onions begin to brown.