We couldn’t identify the source of this simply inexpensive and low fat tofu-garlic mashed potatoes recipe. The creator advises not to overwork the mashed potatoes, as they may turn gluey.
Special Diet Notes: Low Fat Tofu-Garlic Mashed Potatoes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 6 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup low-fat firm silken tofu
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1½ lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- In small saucepan, combine garlic and broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer broth to blender or food processor. Add tofu and oil and process until mixture is smooth and creamy. Set aside, and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, combine potatoes with enough cold water to cover. Add 1 tsp. salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reserving ½ cup of potato cooking water, drain potatoes well.
- In large bowl, mash potatoes; gently stir in warm tofu mixture and enough reserved potato water to make smooth puree. Season with remaining ½ tsp. salt, pepper and nutmeg and serve.