The authors secrets to perfect mashed potatoes: Use only enough water to cover and to salt the water so no additional salt is needed. Second, heat the liquids. Third, is to use a potato masher or ricer before whipping.
Special Diet Notes: Perfect Mashed Potatoes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 lbs. (about 6 medium) russet potatoes
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 tablespoon canola or extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, preferably freshly ground
- Salt to taste
- Peel potatoes, removing all eyes and blemishes.
- Halve potatoes lengthwise.
- Cut each half into eight similar-size pieces.
- Place potatoes in 3-1/2- to 4-quart pan.
- Cover with 1 quart water.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover pan.
- Over high heat bring water to boil, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook covered until potatoes are fork tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan over low heat, bring oat milk to simmer. Do not boil.
- Drain cooked potatoes. Return to pan and mash very well with old-fashioned potato masher.
- Scrape potatoes with spatula into mixer bowl or separate bowl. With whip attachment on medium speed or with hand mixer, begin to whip potatoes while slowly adding hot oat milk.
- Scrape bowl to incorporate all potatoes.
- Add oil and pepper. Whip to mix.
- Taste for salt, adding more if necessary.
- Serve immediately or keep warm for up to 1 hour by putting bowl, covered, in hot water bath.