Special Diet Notes: Basic Potato Latkes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 large onion, grated very fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 large potatoes, grated very thin for smooth texture, or coarser for crunchier texture
- Mix all ingredients except potatoes in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add potatoes last, and mix thoroughly without squeezing so as not extract moisture. Work very quickly so they do not get time to get discolored.
- Form medium-small patties and throw in hot oil, or drop by tablespoons.
- Fry until golden, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Take out and drain on paper towels.
- Best served immediately after frying, with apple sauce, vegan sour cream (use homemade recipe from Go Dairy Free for soy-free) or soy yogurt (use coconut-based yogurt for soy-free).