This savory potato medley recipe was published in the California Country Magazine, way back in the January/February 2007 issue. The magazine is no longer in publication, but this delicious side dish lives on. It was originally created by Susan Brooking, a Culinary Educator for California Olive Ranch.
Please note that the cook time may vary depending on the climate. It can take longer for potatoes to brown if the air is quite humid, but they can toast up quite quickly in arid areas.
Special Diet Notes: Roasted Potato & Sweet Potato Medley
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, gluten-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1 pound sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 3 to 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed with the flat side of a large knife
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- ½ to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (for easy clean up).
- In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes, sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the potato medley out on your prepared baking sheet. Bake until the potatoes are soft and brown, about 40 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking time.
- Transfer the potato medley to a serving dish. Toss with the lemon zest and remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil. Taste and add more seasoning, if desired.