This sesame grilled asparagus recipe comes from Mike Eberhart, author of Gluten-Free and Wheat-Free Gourmet Desserts. If gluten free is not a concern, then regular Tamari or soy sauce will also work well in this recipe.
Serve when done grilling. Final product should look something like this:
Special Diet Notes: Sesame Grilled Asparagus
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- Asparagus spears (Fresh or Frozen)
- Gluten-free low sodium tamari (Wheat-Free Soy Sauce)
- Sesame seeds
- Select a flat-bottomed fry pan or griddle large enough to hold asparagus spears laid flat on bottom of pan. Spray pan with cooking spray, or apply a light coating of oil (peanut, olive, sesame -- your preference). Place asparagus in pan and warm on medium heat on stovetop.
- Drizzle some Tamari over top of Asparagus, somewhat evenly distributing over exposed surfaces. You will not need to completely soak the spears, you just want a reasonable amount for accent-flavor. Next, sprinkle sesame seeds over the asparagus as you see fit.
- Use a fork or other device to rotate the spears once or twice as they cook through. Total cook time should only be a few minutes (perhaps 5-8) depending on if fresh or frozen spears are used, and how well-cooked you prefer your asparagus. Take care as not to burn them - reduce heat and increase grilling time as needed.