You may use 1 cup of brown sugar or evaporated cane juice in place of the liquid sweeteners in this recipe.
Special Diet Notes: Apple-Walnut Sweet Potato Bake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- ½ cup brown rice or agave syrup
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup non-dairy butter alternative
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Blanch the sweet potatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes or until slightly tender, but not cooked through.
- Rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly. Place the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl with the apples.
- In a frying pan, combine remaining ingredients except walnuts.
- Boil for at least one minute, then add walnuts. Boil for at least another minute.
- Pour mixture over potatoes and apples and mix well.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.