Special Diet Notes: Turmeric Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (use more if you wish)
- ½ bell pepper, chopped (use more if you wish)
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked rice, preferably brown
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups veggie broth or water
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a skillet or saucepan with a lid. Add onion, pepper and tomato, if using. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and stir to mix well; cook for another minute or two. Add liquid, salt and turmeric. Cover, adjust heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender .
- If the rice isn't tender when the liquid has been absorbed, add a little more liquid and continue simmering for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if using, and serve warm.