Cooking basic foods without dairy isn’t very difficult. But it’s the sauces that mix things up. I’m always on the lookout for flavorful sauces that shun milk, cream, and cheese, like this dairy-free sun dried tomato sauce. It has far more depth than your average tomato sauce, and boasts fresh seasonal ingredients.
And it’s quite versatile! Of course, this dairy-free sun dried tomato sauce goes well over pasta, but you can also pair it with chicken, fish, zucchini, summer squash, or other vegetable blends. You can even use it as a pizza sauce!
Special Diet Notes: Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 10 sundried tomato halves
- Olive oil, as needed
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ⅞ cup dry white wine
- ⅜ cup water, or as needed
- Pinch sugar
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- If the sundried tomatoes are in oil, drain them but reserve the oil. Dice the tomatoes. If the sundried tomatoes are not in oil, soak them for 10 minutes in boiling water, then drain and dice.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of reserved or new oil in a heavy pan over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh tomatoes, diced sundried tomatoes, and white wine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and purée in a food processor.
- Thin with the water, and add the sugar, salt, and pepper.