Grilled zucchini with sundried tomato sauce makes for a simple yet flavorful summer meal or side! Great for a barbecue or picnic.
Special Diet Notes: Zucchini with Sundried Tomato Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 10 sundried tomato halves
- olive oil
- 2 leeks, sliced very finely
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ⅞ cup dry white wine
- ⅜ cup water
- pinch pale muscovado sugar
- 12 medium size zucchini, wiped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- If the sundried tomatoes have been preserved in oil, remove from the oil (reserve it) and chop the tomatoes fairly small. If they were just dried, soak for 10 minutes in boiling water then drain and chop.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the reserved or new oil in a heavy pan and add the sliced leeks; cook gently, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add both lots of tomatoes and the white wine, stir well, bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer gently for 30–40 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, with a sharp knife or a vegetable peeler, cut the zucchini lengthways into as thin slices as you can manage.
- Lay them out on a griddle, drizzle with a little oil and grate over some salt and pepper. Cook briskly under a hot grill until tanned, then turn and repeat the process. Continue until all the slices are cooked. Remove the sauce from the heat and purée in a food processor.
- Thin with the water (you may need a little extra) and add sugar to taste. You should not need any further seasoning as the zucchini slices are already well seasoned. Serve with the slices.
9g total fat – 1g sat / 4g mono / 3g poly
6g carbohydrate of which 5g sugar
3g fibre – 0.89mg sodium / 0.2g salt
GOOD SOURCE OF: Vitamin B6, folate