In my opinion, the best foods are naturally dairy free. Case in point: roasted vegetables. Something about the sweet caramelization of vegetables that happens at high temperatures is positively magical. And this simple roasted asparagus recipe is a perfect example. Roasting takes a woody vegetable and turns it into something tender and delicious that even kids love to eat.
Perfect Roasted Asparagus with Additional Flavor Options
We originally shared this recipe way back in 2008, but I’ve since added some ingredient notes and flavorful options to help you mix things up.
Roasted Asparagus Ingredient Notes
- Oil: You can use any high heat oil in this recipe. Olive oil is traditionally used with asparagus, but most high-heat oils will work just fine.
- Salt: If you are timid with the salt, you can sprinkle on just 1/8 teaspoon before roasting. Then add more salt, to taste, once cooked.
Roasted Asparagus Flavor Options
- Sesame: Sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Balsamic: Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar
- Lemon: Sprinkle with a few pinches of lemon zest. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing on
- Garlic: Toss in 1 to 2 minced garlic cloves
- Onion: Sprinkle with onion powder
- Herb: Add 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs, like rosemary or thyme.
Special Diet Notes: Simple Roasted Asparagus
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-ree, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, plant-based, vegan, vegetarian, paleo, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF.
- Snap the woody ends off your asparagus and discard.
- Place the asparagus spears in a baking dish or on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle the spears with the olive oil, sprinkle with the salt and pepper, and toss to evenly coat.
- Roast the asparagus for 10 to 15 minutes,
- Trim off dry ends of asparagus.
- Place asparagus in oven-proof dish and toss with olive oil and a pinch or two of salt until all asparagus is coated.
- Roast the asparagus for 8 to 15 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned. The time will depend on the thickness of your spears.