This holiday season, save time and oven space with a delicious slow cooker sweet potato casserole. The recipe is free of dairy, gluten, and other top allergens, if you wish. Nonetheless, it’s a full flavor side dish that provides the perfect taste of tradition.
This slow cooker sweet potato casserole recipe with photo was shared with us by McCormick.
Special Diet Notes: Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, vegetarian, and optionally top food allergy-friendly.
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- ½ cup chicken stock or vegetable stock (for vegan)
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup dairy-free buttery spread or sticks, cut into chunks (can swap in coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows (vegan optional)
- Grease the inside of a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the sweet potatoes, stock and brown sugar.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on high, stirring once each hour, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the buttery spread (or coconut oil), cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Beat the sweet potatoes with a hand mixer on medium-high speed until smooth. Taste test, and mix in more seasoning, if needed.
- Top with the marshmallows. Cover and cook 10 minutes on high, or until the marshmallows are slightly melted.
More Sweet Potato Sides
Molasses, Miso, and Maple Candied Vegan Sweet Potatoes (vegan, gluten-free & nut-free)
Wholesome Apple Sweet Potato Casserole (gluten-free & optionally soy-free)
Baked Sweet Potato Chips (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)