My friend Kathy Hester has released the 2nd edition of her popular book, The Vegan Slow Cooker! Where does she find the time? A couple months ago, she co-authored The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook, and earlier this year she released Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer (sample recipes include Battered Onion Rings and Plain Old Tots). Not to mention all of the other cookbooks she’s written in prior years! But today, we’re focusing on The Vegan Slow Cooker, and a sample recipe for Atomic Vegan Pecan Loaf.
This Vegan Pecan Loaf or “Meatloaf” is actually the cover recipe on The Vegan Slow Cooker, Revised and Expanded. It’s a perfect main for festive meals, like Christmas or New Year’s Eve, but it’s also a comforting any-night meal. The ingredient list is a little lengthy, but the preparation is easy. All you have to do is mix, and then let it slow cook.
And this is just one new recipes in The Vegan Slow Cooker, Revised and Expanded: Simply Set It and Go with 160 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Fresh from the Slow Cooker or Instant Pot®. Phew! Yes, it now has Instant Pot recipes too.
But you can go ahead and try out this vegan pecan loaf first. I guarantee you’ll be back for seconds …
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Pecan Loaf (aka Vegan Meatloaf)
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 (15-ounce / 425-gram) can kidney beans, drained but reserve ¼ cup (60 mL) of the liquid (aquafaba)
- 1 cup (110 g) rolled oats, pulsed into flour (use certified gluten-free, if needed)
- ½ cup (55 g) pecans
- 1 medium portobello mushrooms with gills removed, minced
- 2 tablespoons (6 g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons (32 g) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground rosemary
- ½ cup (120 g) ketchup
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) vegan Worcestershire sauce
- The night before: Mix all the loaf ingredients together (including the reserved aquafaba), and store the mixture in the refrigerator in an airtight container until the morning. Also mix together the ingredients for the topping, and store in a separate container in the refrigerator.
- In the morning: Oil the crock of your 4-quart slow cooker or line with parchment paper (for oil free). Pat the loaf mixture evenly into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- About 30 to 45 minutes before serving: Spread the ketchup mixture over the top of the loaf.
Key Pantry Supplies: Vegan Pecan Loaf