About a month ago, my niece and I were craving a campfire treat, so we pulled up some recipes and decided on s’mores-style crispy treats. Sadly, the recipe of choice merely tasted like chocolate chip treats, with barely a hint of graham. We thought it lacked in the true indulgence of s’mores. To rectify the situation, we came up with our own easy recipe for Smores Rice Crispy Treats.
We increased the graham to crispy ratio (but you can make it even higher!), and spread on a thick layer of dairy-free chocolate. Of course, putting a little extra graham goodness on top doesn’t hurt either. Our result was a batch of Smores Rice Crispy Treats that truly reminded us both of summer camp. Yet each bite satisfies our sweet cravings at any time, smoldering fire, or not!
My Ingredient Tips
In terms of dietary needs, these Smores Rice Crispy Treats are quite versatile, making them a perfect accommodating sweet for potlucks, barbecues and birthdays. The base recipe is dairy-free, but the batch pictured here is also gluten-free and vegetarian (they’re just shy of vegan, due to the touch of honey in the graham cookies). Below, I’ve included my recommendations for ingredient usage.
Good Grahams: You can use regular dairy-free graham crackers (I originally made this recipe with Erewhon Organic Graham Crackers, but I believe they are discontinued), gluten-free graham crackers (Kinnikinnick are tasty), or even cookies (I use Enjoy Life Vanilla Honey Graham Cookies in the pictures here, which are gluten-free and top allergen-free). Note that strictly vegan graham crackers can be hard to find as most brands contain honey. Nonetheless, there are a few surprise generics out there, or you can make your own!
Marshmallow Mayhem: I’ve made these Smores Rice Crispy Treats with both traditional marshmallows and vegan ones – the vegan version is what is pictured here. Both are delicious and work well, but I must admit, the vegan marshmallows (I used Trader Joe’s brand, but Dandies are a great option) are a little harder to work with as they aren’t quite as soft when melted.
Oil vs Buttery Spread: Note that I use coconut oil to keep these smores rice crispy treats dairy-free. I don’t recommend using dairy-free buttery spread or margarine, as the water moisture in it can cause your treats to lose their crisp fairly quickly.
I originally created this Smores Rice Crispy Treats recipe for Attune Foods.
Special Diet Notes: Smores Rice Crispy Treats
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan / plant-based, and optionally vegetarian.
- 10 ounces mini regular or vegan marshmallows
- ¼ cup + 1½ to 2 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- Generous pinch salt
- 1½ cups + ½ cup crumbled graham crackers or gluten-free graham-style cookies, divided
- 3½ to 4½ cups crispy brown rice cereal
- 1 to 1½ cups dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line an 8x8-inch (for taller treats) or 9×13-inch (for skinnier treats) baking dish with parchment paper or wax paper so that it extends just over the sides or ends.
- Place the marshmallows and ¼ cup coconut oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium-low heat. Continuously stir until the marshmallows are melted and smooth. If using vegan marshmallows, this may take a little extra time and stirring.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, followed by 1½ cups graham crumbles and 3½ cups cereal. If a less gooey treat is desired, add up to 1 cup more cereal (I often add just another ½ cup).
- Dump the marshmallow mix into the prepared baking dish and press it firmly into the dish to even out. If too sticky, use a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper as a barrier when pressing it in.
- If using an 8x8-inch dish, melt 1 cup chocolate chips with 1½ teaspoons coconut oil. If using a 9x13-inch dish, melt 1½ cups chocolate chips with 2 teaspoons coconut oil. Do not overheat it! You want it just melted and smooth once stirred.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the crispy mix in your dish and even it out. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup graham crumbles.
- You can enjoy these bars warm and gooey, or let them set-up at room temperature - this may take a couple of hours. To speed things up, chill the bars in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes (my preferred method).
- To serve, lift the bars out of the pan using the wax/parchment paper. Peel off the paper, place on a cutting board, and cut into squares or rectangles.
I made these s’mores Rice Krispie treats yesterday for a team awards celebration. They are THE BEST Rice Krispie treats I have ever had. I am recommending them to everyone I know whether they currently have a need for a dessert or not! ☺️ They are so, so, so delicious – highly recommend!
Forgot to add the 5 stars!
Thank you for your feedback Julie and so happy you all enjoyed them!
Pingback: 32 Delicious & Easy Vegan Potluck Recipes - Vegan Heaven
We made this tonight, exactly as described, and it’s delicious! My family loves the combination of krispie treat and smore. Thank you for sharing the recipe! And thanks for the tip about coconut oil vs margarine. Great to know!
That’s fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing your feedback Lisa.
Oh wow these crispy treats look amazing! Definitely going to be giving these a go!
Oh my gosh, you mashed two of my favorite sweet treats into one mega treat!
Mine, too Becky!
These are a treat I would love!!
That looks like the best parts of both the rice crispy treat and s’mores combined! I particularly love it when the marshmallows are really prominent and gooey like that.