This delicious snack idea of ginger sugar pecans comes from our friend Janelle, over at the Brown Bag Blues Blog:
“…Sometimes nuts are just nuts; other days I make nuts into a brown bag ‘treat.’ In fact, we went to dinner at my—new, favorite—friend’s house, and I brought Ginger Sugar Pecans as a thank you hostess gift. Guess what? Her son loved them!
My boys love eating them for lunch too; they also love the candied walnuts I sometimes tuck into their crumpled brown bag.”
Special Diet Notes: Ginger Sugar Pecans
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 5 cups pecan halves
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- Toast pecans in single layer on rimmed cookie sheet at 325 for 10-15 minutes. Shake once during baking.
- Combine sugar, salt, ginger in small bowl and set aside.
- Mix honey, 2 tablespoon water and oil in sauté pan; bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce to medium, add pecans and cook for a few minutes until liquid has evaporated. Immediately throw into sugar mix and toss well—these are fabulous warm or at room temperature.
- They taste even better on day 2 when the flavors have had a chance to settle.