Special Diet Notes: Homemade Applesauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and allergy-friendly.
- 8-10 tart apples, washed (We’re looking for middle-of-the-road apples here. Not Delicious, not Granny Smith. Whatever is growing locally right now.)
- dark brown sugar (optional)
- lemon juice (optional)
- cinnamon (optional)
- Wash the apples and cut them into chunks.
- Put them in a pan with enough water to just cover the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer, covered, for about 15-20 minutes, until the apples are soft.
- Run the apples through the food mill over a clean bowl.
- Discard the seeds and peels left in the mill.
- Taste the applesauce, and add a tiny bit (1-2 teaspoons) of dark brown sugar if desired.
- If the applesauce isn’t tart enough, add a shot of lemon juice.
- Stir cinnamon into the applesauce or serve with cinnamon on top if desired.