Jae of the Domestic Affair blog has perfected her homemade granola bars recipe…
Special Diet Notes: Homemade Granola Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian.
- 3 cups rolled oats (not quick oats - you could substitute with kamut or rye flakes, but oats nourish your nervous system)
- 1 cup filtered water
- ¼ cup flaxseeds, partially ground (1-2 pulses in the coffee grinder)
- 2 tablespoon amaranth
- ½ cup oat bran (or wheat bran if tolerated)
- ½ cup whole grain flour (your choice)
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ - ⅔ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup olive oil
- zest of a organic orange
- Preheat oven to 350oF. Spread oats on a baking sheet and toast them for 20 minutes, turning once half way through to prevent browning. While oats are toasting, put water, flaxseed and amaranth in a small pot on the stove over high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the bran, flour, coconut, berries, cinnamon and salt.
- Once oats have toasted (and have been removed from the oven), add them to the large bowl. Reduce oven temperature to 325oF. Scrape the flax goop into the bowl and combine to make a uniform mixture. Stir in the maple syrup and olive oil.
- Press mixture into a lightly oiled 28x18x4 cm baking pan and score into 16 bars (one long length-wise cut, 7 cuts width-wise). Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.
- They should keep in a sealed container on your countertop for 4 or more days, or in the fridge for a week or more (though they might get soggy in there).