This dessert-like snack sounds great for kids and back to school lunches. We altered this PB & J Bars recipe from the Santa Cruz Organic website.
Special Diet Notes: PB & J Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For peanut-free / nut-free: swap the peanut butter for Sunbutter or favorite seed butter.
- 6 tbsp non-hydrogenated shortening or margarine (Earth Balance buttery sticks would work well in this one), softened
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (such as Santa Cruz Organic®)
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup seedless raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees.
- Spray a 9" x 13" metal baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Blend together butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add egg and continue mixing.
- Add flour and salt and mix until dough forms.
- Reserve 1 cup dough for topping.
- Press remaining dough evenly in bottom of pan.
- Spread jam in an even layer on top of dough and then coarsely spoon drop reserved dough over jam layer.
- Bake 30 – 35 minutes.
- Cool completely, then cut into bars.