This African Peanut Soup is very creative and received many 5 star reviews on the allrecipes.com board.
Special Diet Notes: African Peanut Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- 8 cups vegetable broth or stock
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- ⅔ cup crunchy peanut butter
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
- Cook onions and bell peppers until lightly browned and tender, stirring in garlic when almost done to prevent burning.
- Stir in tomatoes, vegetable stock, pepper, and chili powder. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in rice, cover, and simmer another fifteen minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in peanut butter until well blended, and serve.