Foods Matter, June 2007 – This asparagus soup recipe was reprinted with the permission of Foods Matter Magazine
Wheat, gluten, corn, dairy, soya, nightshade, egg & nut free – Another very simple soup that allows the flavour of the asparagus and the garlic to shine through. You can serve the soup warm or at room temperature.
Special Diet Notes: Asparagus Soup with Wild Garlic
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 lb 2 oz fresh asparagus
- 6¼ cups gluten/wheat free vegetable or chicken stock
- ⅞ cup dry white wine
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- large handful of wild garlic leaves with flowers if possible or, if you cannot find wild garlic, fresh chives with flowers*
- Cut the asparagus into shortish pieces and put in a large pan with the stock and white wine. Bring slowly to the the boil and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Purée in a food processor and season to taste with the salt and pepper. When ready to serve, reheat the soup gently.
- Remove the stems and chop garlic leaves quite small. Stir into the soup before serving and scatter the flowers over the tureen or each bowl.
93cals – 12g protein
3g total fat – 0.5g sat / 0.1g mono / 0.5g poly
3.5g carbohydrate of which 2.5g sugar
1.5g fibre – 502mg sodium / 1.3g salt
GOOD SOURCE OF: Folate