This comforting Autumn Vegetable Stew was published by the Times Colonist in Victoria, BC. Serve it over rice or couscous for a healthy vegan meal.
Special Diet Notes: Autumn Vegetable Stew
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium parsnip, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large celery rib, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour (use rice flour for gluten free)
- 2-3 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2½ cups of fresh pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ cup frozen peas
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot set over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, parsnip, celery, bell pepper and garlic and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and curry powder and mix until well combined. While stirring, slowly pour in vegetable stock.
- Add the pumpkin and sage and bring the stew to a simmer.
- Gently simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the peas and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.