Melody Wren, The Cook’s Kitchen – Soup isn’t something you normally associate with summer, but served cold or at room termperature, it can be a simple summer meal with a fresh baguette. Recently, I had 8 guests for dinner after working all day (what was I thinking?), and served appetizer portions of this carrot mango soup in tiny chinese tea cups. The look was stunning and the guests were definitely im pressed. Most soups are best made ahead to allow the flavour to blend.
With bounties of delicious mangoes in every grocery store at bargain basement prices, I knew I wanted to incorporate them into the summer soup for my guests.
A combination of beta-carotene-rich mangoes and carrots, energized with vitamin-packed orange juice, makes this is an interesting and healthy soup – hot or cold.
Special Diet Notes: Carrot Mango Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 6 to 7 large carrots, about 2 lbs - organic have the best flavour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large, very ripe mangoes
- snipped chives or chopped parsley
- Peel and coarsely chop carrots. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and curry. Cook , stirring frequently, until onion has softened and mixture is fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, broth, juice and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are very tender, about 30 mnutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and slice mangoes away from stones. Coarsely chop. Puree in a food processor until as smooth as possible. Turn into a small bowl. When carrots are tender, remove from broth and puree in batches using a little broth in saucepan. Stir in mango puree. Heat over medium low heat , uncovered and stirring often, until hot, about 5 minutes. Serve hot or refrigerate and serve cold with a scattering of snipped chives. Soup will keep well, covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days or freeze. Makes 8 cups.