Special Diet Notes: Lemongrass Celery Rice Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
The very long slow cooking gives this soup great flavor and texture – not unlike your Jewish granny’s barley soup but without the gluten!
- 2 tsbp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 sticks celery, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 piece of lemongrass, cut in 4 pieces
- 4oz brown rice
- 200ml dry white wine
- 7-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 20g wild rice (3/4 ounce)
- 6oz fresh spinach, either young leaves, whole, or older ones, chopped (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions and celery. Cover and sweat for 20–25 minutes or until they are soft.
- Add the lemon grass and wholegrain rice and continue to cook for a couple of minutes. Add the wine and stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Add the wild rice and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes. Meanwhile, if you are using it, steam the spinach.
- Season the soup to taste and stir in the spinach just before serving.