Special Diet Note: Creamy Broccoli Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, and nut-free.
For vegetarian / vegan creamy broccoli soup, swap the chicken stock for No Chicken stock or vegetable broth.
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil or dairy-free butter substitute
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1-½ lbs. broccoli, cut into florets
- 1-½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- pinch cayenne
- 2 cups dairy-free yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- Cook onions in oil until transparent.
- Bring stock to a boil, add broccoli and boil gently for 7 minutes or just until tender.
- Add onion mixture, curry, bay leaf, basil, sugar and cayenne to broccoli and simmer, partially covered for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Gradually add mixture to yogurt stirring vigorously, then add yogurt mixture back to soup.
- Heat just until hot. Do not boil. Add nutmeg and pepper.
- Serve immediately.