This Creamy Broccoli Soup comes from the cookbook Recipes for Dairy-Free Living by Denise Jardine
Special Diet Notes: Creamy Broccoli Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. Optionally vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1½ pounds broccoli cut into small florets
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1¼ pound russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 medium)
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 fresh lemon for garnish - optional
- To prepare the soup: Combine the broccoli, onion, potatoes, chicken/vegetable stock, wine, lemon juice, bay leaves, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan. Bring the saucepan to a boil. Cover and decrease the heat to low simmering until all the vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes.
- To puree the soup: Remove the soup from the heat and discard the bay leaves. Ladle half of the soup into a blender along with ¾ cup soy milk, cover and puree until smooth. Empty the blender into a large bowl. Ladle the remaining soup into the blender with ¾ cup dairy-free milk, puree until smooth. When finished transfer the pureed soup back into the saucepan. Thin the soup if necessary by adding a little more soy milk until the desired consistency is achieved. Taste and correct the seasonings. Reheat the soup over low heat stirring occasionally until hot, taking care not to boil the soup. Ladle into bowls and garnish each bowl with lemon zest. Serve immediately.