This Heart Healthy Celery Soup came to me as dairy free “news” today! It’s a simple recipe that’s wholesome and easy to prepare. It’s healthy comfort food at its finest. Paired with wholegrain bread or buns with a nice spread of hummus, it makes for a healthy filling meal.
Special Diet Notes: Heart Healthy Celery Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, nut-free soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large leeks, peeled, trimmed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 16 stems celery (organic if possible), trimmed and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes (approximately!)
- 1 litre low sodium vegetable stock
- ½ heaped tsp ground nutmeg (fresh or pre-ground)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of black pepper
- When preparing the celery, make sure that you remove any of the tough outer strings – they should peel off easily.
- Warm the olive oil and 1 tbsp water in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion, leeks, garlic and celery. Stir and reduce the heat to low. Cover and allow the vegetables to “sweat” for 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and vegetable stock, bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat. Stir in the nutmeg, ginger and black pepper. Cover and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, or when the vegetables (especially the potatoes) are cooked through, take off the heat and leave to cool.
- When cooler, you can blend the soup. I prefer this soup totally smooth, but it is up to you! You may need to blend this in batches.
- Reheat gently but DO NOT allow to boil - this ruins the consistency.
- Serve with warm wholegrain rolls and top quality hummus.