Special Diet Notes: Zucchini Curry Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
Mary Hunt’s Zucchini Curry Soup
I love zucchini. Alas, it is almost gone. So here is a fun way to use it up, most of which freeze well. From Mary Hunt's Everyday Cheapskate column, here is her recipes for Zucchini Brownies and Zucchini Curry Soup. I've altered it to be dairy free, of course...
Author: Sarah Hatfield
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped, about ½ cup
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced or chopped, about 1½ to 2 pounds
- 2 apples, peeled, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2½ teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan, melt the dairy-free margarine over low heat. Sauté the onion, garlic and carrot slowly until onion begins to yellow. Add zucchini, diced apples, chicken broth and curry powder. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Purée the hot soup by transferring to the blender in small batches. Return to the saucepan and add salt and pepper to taste.
Nowheymama note: I might add more apple next time to make the soup even more kid-friendly. But the kids did eat it. Also, I just blended the soup in the pot with my immersion blender.
Pingback: Vegan Zucchini Brownies: Great Way to Sneak In Veggies