This particular recipe hints at the flavors of summer with a coconut milk base and a good dose of lemon for a refreshing tang, but it is still hard to escape the comfort food factor involved in this relatively hearty soup packed with earthy mushrooms.
I do recommend that even the coconut averse give this one a try. When used in savor applications, coconut milk is surprisingly sedated. Ah yes, onto the wheat-, gluten-, corn-, soy-, dairy-, egg-, and nut-free, vegan recipe …
- 6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 6 Small Leeks, trimmed and sliced finely
- 12oz Chestnut, White Button, or Cremini Mushrooms, chopped small
- 2½ cups Regular Coconut Milk
- 2½ cups Gluten/Wheat-Free Vegetable Stock
- Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Juice of 1–2 Lemons
- 4oz Oyster or Shitake Mushrooms, sliced
- Extra 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the leeks. Sauté gently for 2–3 minutes, then add the chopped mushrooms. Continue to cook gently, uncovered for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and stock. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Purée in a liquidiser or food processor then return to the pan and season to taste with the salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- When ready to serve, heat the extra oil in a pan and briskly fry the sliced oyster or shitake mushrooms.
- Reheat the soup and serve with the extra mushrooms scattered over the top.