From Doug Brown, Denver Post Writer – Hungry for beef stew? Don’t go out and buy beef, because this recipe doesn’t have any. Will you miss the meat? Nope. This is great vegan beef stew from “The Grit Restaurant Vegetarian Cookbook.”
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Beef Stew
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 large boiling or Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3½ cups water
- ⅓ cup soy
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup chunky beef-style T.V.P. (textured vegetable protein)
- Boiling water to cover T.V.P.
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 leek (white and pale green parts only), finely chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage, or ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- ¼ cup tomato purée
- ½ cup Guinness Stout or other stout beer (optional)
- ½ cup peas, fresh or frozen
- Boil potatoes in a mixture of water, soy sauce and onion powder until barely tender; set aside.
- Melt margarine in large stockpot and add onion, carrot, and leek. Sauté, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add flour, yeast, salt, pepper, mustard, and sage. Cook over gentle heat, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Gradually stir in boiled potato mixture and increase heat until simmering. Add T.V.P., tomato puree, peas and beer. Simmer, stirring often, 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately in warm bowls.