Special Diet Notes: Yellow Split Pea Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 medium onions, very finely sliced
- I medium carrot, very finely grated
- 10 ounces yellow split peas
- 8 cups gluten and wheat-free vegetable stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the cumin and coriander.
- Cook gently for 2-3 minutes then add the onions and carrot and continue to cook very gently, uncovered, stirring regularly, for 45-60 minutes. Make sure they do not burn.
- Add the split peas and the stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black
- pepper, add extra stock if it is too thick and serve.