This is Southern-Style vegan banana pudding is a classic that was originally shared with us by Enjoy Life Foods. Unlike many vanilla puddings that masquerade as banana pudding, this recipe has fresh bananas stirred right into the pudding.
The photo below shows the vegan banana pudding topped with Enjoy Life Perky’s Cereal, which has been discontinued. We’ve simply omitted it from the recipe because it isn’t really necessary. But you can top the pudding with more cookie crumble or a crispy cereal, if desired.
Special Diet Notes: Southern-Style Vegan Banana Pudding
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, soy-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 5 very ripe bananas
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 2 cups plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 small dairy-free snickerdoodle cookies, halved (they use 1 box or Enjoy Life Snickerdoodle cookies), halved
- In a medium bowl, mash four of the bananas. Slice the remaining banana into disks.
- Add the tapioca starch to a medium saucepan, and slowly whisk in the milk beverage until smooth. Whisk in the oil and salt.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, and whisk continuously as you bring it to a boil. Boil, while whisking, for 30 seconds.
- Remove the pan from the heat and immediately stir in the mashed bananas, agave nectar, and vanilla until just incorporated.
- For individual servings, place 4 cookie pieces and 4 banana slices in each of 6 small ice cream dishes. If using a casserole dish, line the bottom of the dish with alternating banana slices and cookie pieces. Pour the pudding over the cookies and bananas.
- Refrigerate the pudding until cool. The pudding will not set hard, but will be soft and creamy.