Need a easy meatless meal, a healthy lunch box recipe, or perhaps a potluck or barbecue side that will fulfill? Look no further than this Southwest quinoa salad – it’s light enough for warmer months, yet fairly hearty.
The Southwest quinoa salad recipe and photo were shared with us by READ Salads.
I was immediately enamored by the summery array of fresh tomatoes in this dish, complimented by seasonal bell peppers and a zesty, bright, tangy and slightly spicy lime dressing. Not a fan of cilantro? Neither am I! If you find that herb too soapy, swap some fresh flat-leaf parsley or even oregano into this Southwest quinoa salad.
Both the grains and the beans in this Southwest quinoa salad provide a good dose of fiber and protein. But for an even heftier meal, add some leftover chopped chicken, baked tofu or tempeh, or quick-cooking shrimp.
Special Diet Notes: Southwest Quinoa Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
Beany Options: Note that this Southwest quinoa salad does use a premade Southwestern Bean Salad that does contain soy oil and may be problematic for some severe allergies (check with the company!). In a pinch, don’t hesitate to substitute in a 15-ounce can of “safe” lightly salted beans and a little chili powder or your favorite salsa, to taste. Alternately, you can make your own Bean Salad, which is amazing on its own or in all types of recipes!
- 1 15-ounce can READ Southwestern Bean Salad (see "Beany Options" in post above for subs)
- ½ cup red cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup chopped tomatillos
- ½ cup thin bell pepper strips
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1½ tablespoons neutral-tasting oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon shredded lime peel
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- To make the salad, drain the bean salad and discard the liquid or save it for another use.
- In a large bowl, combine the bean salad, tomatoes, tomatillos and bell pepper.
- For the dressing, whisk together the oil, lime juice, peel and cayenne in a medium bowl. Stir in the cilantro. Add the quinoa and toss to coat.
- Add the quinoa to the bean salad mixture and stir gently to combine. Serve at room temperature or chilled.