When seeking a new, flavorful way to enjoy baked fish, look no further than this healthy salmon recipe. The fresh herb and peppercorn spiked fillet is accompanied with earthy roasted beets for a dish that bridges the seasons. Serve it with your favorite cooked grain (rice, quinoa or millet) or keep it grain-free and paleo with a side salad or perhaps some cauliflower-rice! This healthy salmon recipe with photo was shared with us by the Whole Foods Market team during their big salmon sale.
Special Diet Notes: Spice-Crusted Salmon with Roasted Ginger Beets
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, paleo, and top allergy-friendly.
- 2½ pounds beets (about 8 medium), peeled and cut into wedges
- 1½ tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 whole side (about 3 pounds) salmon, skin on
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Place the beets in on a rimmed baking sheet large enough to hold them in a single layer. Sprinkle with the ginger, fine sea salt and 1 tablespoon of the oil and toss to coat.
- Roast the beets in the middle of the oven, stirring once or twice during cooking, until tender and lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the black peppercorns in a spice grinder and pulse once or twice until cracked, or place them on a cutting board and crack with a rolling pin. Add pink peppercorns, coriander seeds, rosemary, and coarse sea salt; continue to pulse or crush until the mixture is very coarsely ground.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, grease the paper, and place salmon on top; fold the thin tail section under if the fillet is too large for the baking sheet.
- Brush the salmon with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with peppercorn mixture.
- After the beets have roasted for about 15 minutes, place the salmon on the top rack of the oven and roast until just lightly pink in the center, about 15 minutes.
- Loosen the salmon from the parchment with a spatula, then use 2 large spatulas to transfer it to a platter.
- Spoon the beets around the salmon and sprinkle them with chives and parsley to serve.