This recipe is simply brilliant. Hummus is naturally rich and lightly creamy – the perfect base for making a nutritious sauce that is relatively low in fat while being higher in protein, fiber, and satisfying flavor. Plus, this spicy hummus pasta is pretty quick to make for the perfect, energizing weeknight meal or healthier, hearty game day meal!
The recipe and post for this chipotle hummus pasta was shared with us by Sabra.
Special Diet Notes: Spicy Chipotle Hummus Pasta
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, and peanut-free. Note that the hummus used to create this hummus pasta does contain soybean oil, which is the only reason I haven’t not labeled it as soy free.
For a vegan and vegetarian version of this chipotle hummus pasta, use vegetable stock in place of the chicken stock and swap in tempeh or your favorite vegan chicken alternative for the chicken. Alternatively, you can omit the added protein, add in some more of your favorite veggies, and use a protein-rich pasta – I love the Tolerant Foods lentil and bean pastas.
- 1 pound penne pasta (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 package spicy hummus (Sabra Chipotle Hummus used here)
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped (about 6 cups)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, oregano, thyme and salt.
- Rub the spice mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook 5 to 8 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Turn the heat down to low and return pan to stove. Add the garlic and onions and saute for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the red bell pepper. Saute for another 5 minutes, or until soft. Slowly stir in the chicken stock and hummus to form a creamy sauce. Add the Swiss chard. Cover and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the drained pasta and cooked chicken.