Latkes are prepared for Hanukkah, and are more commonly known as potato pancakes. But latkes don’t necessarily need to be made from potatoes. Throughout time, they’ve also been made from other vegetables, legumes, or starches. The word latke is actually derived from an Easy Slavic word that means “small pancake.” So these spinach latkes don’t veer from tradition.
Spinach Latkes with Green Goddess Sauce and Gluten-Free Option
This potato-free spinach latkes recipe was shared with us back in 2010 by Levana Kirschenbaum, but it was buried in our news archives. Today we’re giving her recipe a new home in our dairy-free recipe section.
Levana is a celebrity chef and cookbook author who has roamed the world doing cooking demos. She caters quite a bit to the dairy-free community. For example, latkes are often served with sour cream, but Levana has made a Dairy-Free Green Goddess Sauce to pair with this recipe.
Many of Levana’s recipes are also gluten-free. In fact, she usually makes the gluten-free version of these spinach latkes.
Special Diet Notes: Spinach Latkes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, potato-free, and vegetarian.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 small bunch parsley
- ¼ cup packed basil leaves
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 3 (10-ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, squeezed thoroughly dry
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour, rice flour, or oat flour (certified gluten-free, if needed)
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Pinch nutmeg
- Green Goddess Sauce, for serving
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet, to come up the sides about ⅓ inch.
- Coarsely grind the onion, parsley, basil, and garlic in your food processor.
- Transfer the herb mixture to a bowl. Add the spinach, eggs, flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and combine thoroughly.
- Form patties and fry in hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Let the spinach latkes drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- Serve with green goddess sauce.