This recipe for mango and roasted red pepper soup is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Shannon Kohn. To qualify, the recipe includes Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Mango and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and generally top food allergy-friendly (aside from shellfish).
For a vegan and vegetarian mango and roasted red pepper soup, simply omit the crab and add a touch of salt, to taste.
- 2 cups fresh mango, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- ⅔ cup roasted red pepper, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (6-oz.) can fancy lump crabmeat, drained well*
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- Place mango, onion, and garlic into large food processor. Add vegetable broth; puree until smooth.
- Place mixture into medium-large saucepan with coconut milk beverage, chopped red pepper, salt and black pepper; stir to combine. Heat mixture over medium-low heat until very warm, stirring regularly, about 8-10 minutes.
- While soup is heating, combine crabmeat and cilantro in a medium bowl; set aside.
- To serve: Divide and ladle soup into 4 shallow serving bowls. To middle of soup in each bowl, decoratively mound an equal amount of the crab mixture. Garnish top of crab in each bowl with ½ tablespoon of the toasted coconut. Serve immediately.