Special Diet Notes: Sticky Coconut Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, and peanut-free.
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk, full fat, shaken before use
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger, or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot chili flakes
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons wheat-free Tamari (for gluten-free) or low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 3 green onions, cut into small slices
- Prepare Chicken: Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Pull the thighs open and lay flat in a shallow baking dish. Add coconut milk, ginger, and both kinds of pepper to coat chicken. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, and up to one day.
- Cook Chicken: Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degree for 20 to 30 minutes; or sauté the thighs over medium high heat until cooked through.
- Prepare Glaze: While the chicken is cooking, combine the rice vinegar through the crushed red pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the mixture is reduce to about ⅓ to ½ cup, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve: Pour the chili glaze over the chicken and sprinkle with the green onions. Serve over a bed of brown rice or quinoa.