This wonderful recipe for dairy-free crepes was originally shared several years ago by Patricia Greenberg. She is a Nutritionist, Chef, and author of three books: The Whole Soy Cookbook, Soy Desserts, and Scrumptious Sandwiches, Salads, and Snacks (just released in 2017!). You can learn more about Patricia at her website, The Fitness Gourmet.
Special Diet Notes: Strawberry Dairy-Free Crepes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 1 to 3 tablespoons cane sugar, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons strawberry jam (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 pound apples, such as Golden Delicious, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons cane sugar
- ½ cup strawberries, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoon strawberry jam
- Put the quartered strawberries and 1 tablespoon sugar in your blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add the jam, if desired, and more sugar and lemon juice, to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate the sauce until ready to serve. At serving time, stir in the sliced strawberries.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apples and saute for 2 minutes. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
- Add the sugar, increase the heat to medium-high, and saute until the mixture thickens.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the sliced strawberries and strawberry jam.
- Place the skillet back on the heat, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Sift the flours, salt, and sugar together into a bowl.
- Put the eggs, ¾ cup soymilk, and flour mixture in your blender. Blend on high speed for about 1 minute or until the batter is smooth. Strain the batter if it is lumpy. Cover and refrigerate the batter for about 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Stir the batter well. Gradually whisk in the oil. The batter should have consistency of whipping cream. If it is too thick, gradually whisk in more soymilk, about 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Heat a crepe pan or skillet with a 15-centimeter (6-inch) base, preferably nonstick, over medium-high heat. Sprinkle with a few drops of water. When the pan is hot enough, the water should sizzle. Brush the pan lightly with oil. Remove the pan from heat and quickly add 2 tablespoons batter to one edge, tilting and swirling pan until base is covered with a thin layer of batter. Immediately pour any excess batter back into bowl.
- Return the pan to the heat. Loosen the edges of crepe with a metal spatula, discarding any pieces clinging to sides of pan. Cook until the bottom browns lightly. Slide the spatula under the crepe and turn it carefully. Cook until the second side browns lightly in spots. Slide the cooked crepe onto a plate.
- Reheat the pan for a few seconds, and continue making the crepes, stirring batter occasionally. If the first crepes are too thick, whisk a teaspoon of soymilk into the batter. Adjust the heat and add more oil to the pan if necessary.
- Gently spread 1 tablespoon Strawberry-Apple Filling on each crepe and roll it up lightly or fold it in four. If you like, put the filled crepes in an oiled baking dish and keep them warm, loosely covered, in a low oven (about 300ºF).
- Serve the dairy-free crepes with the Fresh Strawberry Sauce.
Key Pantry Supplies: Strawberry Dairy-Free Crepes