They say that the quickest way to a person’s heart is through their stomach, but showing your affection need not involve fanciful foods and hours in the kitchen. This easy recipe for strawberry love muffins uses a short list of everyday pantry ingredients, perfect for a last-minute Valentine’s Day treat. But of course, you can share it any time of year, baked in traditional muffin cups and made with fresh or frozen strawberries.
I found this strawberry love muffins recipe buried on Go Dairy Free, in the news section from when my friend Hannah Kaminsky’s very first book, My Sweet Vegan, was released. Hannah has since penned many dessert cookbooks, and become a successful food photographer for a wide array of predominantly vegan cookbooks. But even with the hundreds of recipes she has created and photographed in the years following My Sweet Vegan, I still fondly remember when she first sent me the photos for these strawberry love muffins.
Hannah is known for creating daring vegan desserts and unique flavor pairings, but I always felt that this recipe better embodied who she is as a person – sweet, unassuming, and someone who appreciates the simple things in life. This is a no frills recipe, made naturally dairy-free and vegan, no substitutions required, that promises to deliver several satisfying bites.
Special Diet Notes: Strawberry Love Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to use the non-dairy milk beverage that suits your dietary needs.
Gluten-free? We haven’t tested these strawberry love muffins without gluten as of yet. If you do give it a whirl, I would ensure that you use good binding ingredients (perhaps a higher starch or almond flour-chia blend with xanthan or guar gum) to keep them from crumbling since the only real binder in this recipe is in fact the gluten in the wheat.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed strawberries, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF (190ºC) and grease 10 to 12 muffin tins, depending on how large you’d like to make them.
- Begin by mixing together your dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl. Gently stir in the non-dairy milk, lemon juice, oil, and vanilla, but be careful not to over-mix; a few lumps are okay! Fold in the strawberries and pour the batter into your prepared muffin tins, filling them about ¾ of the way to the top. Slide your filled tins into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins sit for at least 10 minutes before removing them from the pan. Enjoy with someone you love.