They say that the quickest way to a person’s heart is through their stomach, but showing your affection doesn’t need to be difficult. This easy recipe for strawberry love muffins uses a short list of everyday pantry ingredients, and is perfect for a last-minute Valentine’s Day treat. But of course, you can share a batch any time of year. Just bake these vegan strawberry muffins in traditional muffin cups with fresh or frozen strawberries.
New photo from Sweet Vegan Treats by Hannah Kaminsky.
Strawberry Love Muffins are a Simply Sweet Vegan Treat
My dear friend Hannah first made this Strawberry Love Muffins recipe over a decade ago. It was in her very first cookbook, My Sweet Vegan.
Since that time, Hannah has produced several cookbooks, but she has come full circle with her most recent title. She has re-released My Sweet Vegan under a new name, Sweet Vegan Treats. It has all new photography and some new recipes. But I was glad to see that this vegan strawberry muffins recipe still made the cut.
Hannah is known for creating daring vegan desserts and unique flavor pairings, but I always felt this recipe better embodied who she is as a person – sweet, unassuming, and someone who appreciates the simple things in life. This is a no frills recipe, made naturally dairy-free and vegan, no substitutions required, that promises to deliver several satisfying bites.
Original photo (with writing added) from My Sweet Vegan, Hannah’s first cookbook.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Strawberry Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to use the non-dairy milk beverage that suits your dietary needs.
Gluten-free? We haven’t tested these strawberry love muffins without gluten as of yet. If you do give it a whirl, I would ensure that you use good binding ingredients (perhaps a higher starch or almond flour-chia blend with xanthan or guar gum) to keep them from crumbling since the only real binder in this recipe is in fact the gluten in the wheat.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed strawberries, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF (190ºC) and grease 10 to 12 muffin tins, depending on how large you’d like to make them. (Use Heart-Shaped Baking Cups, if desired!)
- Begin by mixing together your dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl. Gently stir in the non-dairy milk, lemon juice, oil, and vanilla, but be careful not to over-mix; a few lumps are okay!
- Fold in the strawberries and pour the batter into your prepared muffin tins, filling them about ¾ of the way to the top.
- Slide your filled tins into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins sit for at least 10 minutes before removing them from the pan. Enjoy with someone you love.