Mango salsa is so yester-year. Top those summery Caribbean or jerk grilled items with this seasonal watermelon salsa.
Also pairing nicely with pretzels and tortilla chips for an afternoon snack or a pre-barbecue appetizer, this watermelon salsa is rich with antioxidant-loaded ingredients and naturally sweet flavors. For more recipes like this one, see www.watermelon.org (but be aware that not all recipes on their site are dairy-free).
Special Diet Notes & Options: Watermelon Salsa
This recipe is naturally vegan, vegetarian, egg-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, and all around allergy-friendly. If strawberries are out for you, consider using another summer berry, such as blueberries. For a different flavor and color vibe, mix it up with another seasonal melon or two.
- 1 cup diced seedless watermelon
- ¾ cup diced strawberries
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons diced seeded jalapeño chili
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste (optional)
- In a medium bowl, gently stir together the watermelon, strawberries, onion, mint, chili, and lime. Add sugar, if desired, to taste.
- Let the salsa stand for about 1 hour, allowing the flavors time to meld before serving. Store chilled.