Plain old saltines might be dairy-free, but flavored and other types of crackers often contain dairy and other top allergens. This easy recipe for Sun-Dried Tomato Rice Crackers solves all types of concerns. It’s not only dairy-free, but also gluten-free, nut-free, and soy-free. It might be a new concept to you, but crackers are surprisingly simple to make and they are so much more wholesome and fresh tasting when baked at home!
This sun-dried tomato rice crackers recipe with photo was originally shared with us by Enjoy Life Foods.
Special Diet Notes: Sun-Dried Tomato Rice Crackers
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
- ¼ cup hot water, plus additional for brushing
- 3 tablespoons golden flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds, plus additional for garnish
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup crispy rice cereal
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the hot water, flax seeds, tomato paste, thyme, salt, and cumin to your food processor. Run the processor for about 30 seconds. Allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes. Add the sunflower seeds and rice flour, and run the processor for about 20 seconds. Add the cereal and pulse until it is mostly mixed into the dough.
- Working quickly, place the dough on a piece of parchment and using wet hands, flatten it. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out very thin (about 1/16- to ⅛-inch thick). If the dough is sticky, cover it with another piece of parchment and roll slowly from the center. If the dough cracks, repair it with more dough and use water as a glue.
- Brush the dough with water and sprinkle with additional sunflower seeds. Press the seeds in with your rolling pin.
- Using either a round or wheel pastry cutter, or small cookie cutters, cut the cracker dough into desired shapes. Place the pieces on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes on the center rack in your oven, until the edges begin to brown. Allow the crackers to cool completely before eating.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.