Baking, frosting and decorating delicious treats are all part of the holiday fun, especially for kids. And just because a child has food allergies, it doesn’t mean he or she shouldn’t enjoy the simple pleasure of creating yummy holiday treats with loved ones in the kitchen. That’s why we have these sunbutter swirl chocolate fudge bars and chocolate dippers to share from Enjoy Life Foods.
Three Easy Holiday Treats for Allergy-Friendly Festivities
Some of our most cherished childhood memories are of baking with our moms, grandparents, or other loved ones around the holidays. There’s no reason a child with food allergies should miss out on those precious moments that have such warm, lasting memories. That’s why Enjoy Life Foods’ recipe development “elves” created three delicious and festive treats that kids with food allergies can easily and safely create with adult supervision this holiday season, including Fudgy Swirly Bars, Cocoa Loco Peppermint Pleasers and Crunchy Chocolate Dipper Sticks. ~ Nancy Curby, Marketing Director for Enjoy Life Foods.
Crunchy Chocolate Dippers
This simple snack is a great way to re-purpose snack bars into something fun and new.
Easy Recipe: Line a tray with parchment paper or wax paper. Cut 5 chewy snack bars (like a box of Enjoy Life SunSeed Crunch Bars) in half lengthwise. Melt 1 (10-ounce) bag of dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Crush 1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels and place them in a shallow dish. Dip half of each snack bar piece in the melted chocolate, and tap them remove any excess chocolate. Roll the chocolate-covered portion of the sticks in the crushed seeds, and place them cut side down on a try. Let them sit until the chocolate hardens, or place them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to speed up the process. Makes 10 bars.
Cocoa Peppermint Sticks
This recipe is similar to the Crunchy Chocolate Dippers, but more on the dessert side.
Easy Recipe:Line a tray with parchment paper or wax paper. Cut 5 chewy chocolate snack bars (like a box of Enjoy Life Cocoa Loco Bars) in half lengthwise. Melt 1 (10-ounce) bag of dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Crush 1/2 cup peppermint candy canes and place them in a shallow dish. Dip half of each snack bar piece in the melted chocolate, and tap them remove any excess chocolate. Roll the chocolate-covered portion of the sticks in the crushed candy cane, and place them cut side down on a try. Let them sit until the chocolate hardens, or place them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to speed up the process. Makes 10 bars.
Sunbutter Swirl Chocolate Fudge Bars
The star of the show is these chocolate fudge bars. They’re so simple and pretty, yet so decadent. Think of them as a cross between tiger bark, sunbutter cups, and chocolate fudge. Since this treat has a couple more steps, I’ve included it below in our full recipe format.
Special Diet Notes: Sunbutter Swirl Chocolate Fudge Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- ¼ cup sunflower seed butter
- ½ teaspoon brown rice syrup (can sub another liquid sweetener)
- 1 ½ teaspoons + 1 teaspoon oil, divided
- ½-1 tsp vegetable oil (chocolate layer)
- 2 (10-ounce) bags dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds (optional)
- In a small bowl, stir together the sunflower seed butter and brown rice syrup; the mixture will get thick. Add the 1 ½ teaspoons oil and mix until well combined; the mixture will thin.
- Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- Place the chocolate chips and remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a microwavable container. Heat the chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute and stir. Continue heating the chocolate in 10 second intervals, whisking between intervals, until just melted and smooth. Do not overheat the chocolate or it can scorch.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into your prepared baking dish and even it out.
- Using a spoon, place dollops of the sunbutter mixture on top of the chocolate mixture. Using a fork, swirl the tines gently through the candy to swirl the dollops into the chocolate. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds, if desired.
- Let cool until set at room temperature, or place the dish in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Once it is firm, cut the chocolate into bars.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.