Years ago, a reader submitted this super easy bread machine recipe. It’s a sunflower seed bread that’s also infused with flaxseeds and made with part wheat flour for a more wholesome touch. It’s perfect for breakfast toast or sandwiches. Unlike many breadmaker recipes, this sunflower seed bread doesn’t call for any milk powder. You can use dairy-free milk beverage in place of the water, but it isn’t necessary. The loaf will still turn out tender and flavorful.
Sunflower Seed Bread without a Bread Machine
Yes, you can make this dairy-free loaf without a bread machine, too! Use the same ingredients, but follow these instructions:
- Whisk together the bread flour, salt, and yeast.
- Add the water, melted buttery spread or oil, sweetener, and flaxseed and stir to combine.
- Add the wheat flour, 1/3 cup at a time, kneading as it become thick.
- Knead the dough for 7 to 10 minutes. It should become smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a light cloth or loose plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm draft free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Shape and place the dough in a greased and floured large loaf pan or two smaller loaf pans.
- Sprinkle sunflower seeds on the loaf.
- Cover and let the dough rise until doubled again, about 1 hour.
- Bake the bread at 350ºF until golden and the loaf sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom. This is usually around 30 minutes.
Special Diet Notes: Sunflower Seed Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1⅓ cups water
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread or your favorite baking oil
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (for vegan)
- 1½ cups bread flour
- 1⅓ cups whole wheat bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ cup shelled sunflower seeds
- Place all ingredients (except sunflower seeds) in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select the basic white cycle for a 1½ pound loaf and press start.
- Add the sunflower seeds when the alert sounds during the knead cycle.
Key Pantry Supplies: Sunflower Seed Bread
Oh wow this recipe was just what I was looking for! I love flax for how it moves me and I am a vegan and this bread came out perfect!!! We stood in the kitchen and eat almost all of it! Could you please help me turn this into a pizza dough recipe? I would love it! Thank you, Ava
I’m glad it worked out so well for you Ava! In theory, you could try it as a pizza dough recipe as is. You wouldn’t need to do the risings, or you could do just one rising. And you would want to make sure the dough is soft and pliable I would personally use oil, not buttery spread, for the best results. After the dough is combined and kneaded, I would let it rest for 5 minutes. If you try to roll it out and it still springs back too much, let it rest another 5 minutes. I’ve heard that there is pizza yeast that works amazing for making brilliant crusts, but haven’t tried it myself.