Years ago, a reader submitted this super easy bread machine recipe. It’s a sunflower seed bread that’s also infused with flaxseeds and made with part wheat flour for a more wholesome touch. It’s perfect for breakfast toast or sandwiches. Unlike many breadmaker recipes, this sunflower seed bread doesn’t call for any milk powder. You can use dairy-free milk beverage in place of the water, but it isn’t necessary. The loaf will still turn out tender and flavorful.
Sunflower Seed Bread without a Bread Machine
Yes, you can make this dairy-free loaf without a bread machine, too! Use the same ingredients, but follow these instructions:
- Whisk together the bread flour, salt, and yeast.
- Add the water, melted buttery spread or oil, sweetener, and flaxseed and stir to combine.
- Add the wheat flour, 1/3 cup at a time, kneading as it become thick.
- Knead the dough for 7 to 10 minutes. It should become smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a light cloth or loose plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm draft free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Shape and place the dough in a greased and floured large loaf pan or two smaller loaf pans.
- Sprinkle sunflower seeds on the loaf.
- Cover and let the dough rise until doubled again, about 1 hour.
- Bake the bread at 350ºF until golden and the loaf sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom. This is usually around 30 minutes.
Special Diet Notes: Sunflower Seed Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1⅓ cups water
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread or your favorite baking oil
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (for vegan)
- 1½ cups bread flour
- 1⅓ cups whole wheat bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ cup shelled sunflower seeds
- Place all ingredients (except sunflower seeds) in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select the basic white cycle for a 1½ pound loaf and press start.
- Add the sunflower seeds when the alert sounds during the knead cycle.
Key Pantry Supplies: Sunflower Seed Bread