This recipe for lemon pudding soufflés is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Nadine Mesch. To qualify, she uses 8 ingredients or less, including Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Lemon Pudding Soufflés
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free and dairy-free lemon pudding soufflés, I would trial using your favorite gluten-free flour blend in place of the flour. A binder such as xanthan gum may not be necessary since several eggs are used in this recipe.
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons)
- 4½ teaspoons olive oil
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1½ cups So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond Plus Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, salt, and lemon zest. Add lemon juice and olive oil and mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, almond milk and vanilla. Add to the lemon mixture.
- In a narrow bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Using a spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter until just incorporated. Do not break down the egg whites.
- Spoon batter into 6 (1 cup) ramekins.
- Place ramekins in a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Pour very hot water into the pan until it reaches half way up the ramekins.
- Bake for 45 to 48 minutes, until the soufflés are nicely golden and puffed.
- Remove from oven.
- The soufflé tops will sink within several minutes. Don’t get worried it is supposed to happen.
- Serve the soufflés slightly warm, with fresh berries and a dusting of powdered sugar.