This triple chocolate dairy-free brownies cookies recipe was sent in by Erin, a Go Dairy Free viewer. She states, “I found this recipe while searching for a GOOD chocolatey treat, and just tweaked the ingredients to suit my needs. I am soy-free in addition to dairy-free, so a butter substitute such as margarine could be used in place of the shortening.”
These cookies sounded far too decadent for us to ignore, and I felt a Sweet Sundays feature was in order. This cookie recipe does contain eggs. For a dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegan, and scrumptious double chocolate cookie option (perfect for the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale), try the Fudge Brownie Cookies recipe in Go Dairy Free (pictured at left) – they are a family and party favorite.
As Erin also noted, to keep the cookie recipe below soy-free, you will need to opt for a palm shortening (from Spectrum Organics or Tropical Traditions) or you can trial Earth Balance Soy-Free for a buttery taste, which I find performs very well in baked goodies.
Special Diet Notes: Triple Chocolate Dairy-Free Brownie Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 4 oz. (4 squares) Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup Spectrum Organic Palm Oil shortening
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour (I even used whole wheat flour)
- ½ cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a microwaveable bowl, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar.
- Stir in melted chocolate mixture.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to chocolate mixture, mixing well.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoonful 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 6 minutes, taking them out of the oven while still soft.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute before removing from pan to wire racks to cool completely.