Several years ago, a reader named Erin sent in a recipe for dairy-free triple chocolate brownie cookies. She said, “I found this recipe while searching for a GOOD chocolaty treat, and just tweaked the ingredients to suit my needs. I am soy-free in addition to dairy-free, so a butter substitute such as margarine could be used in place of the shortening.” I recently tested out Erin’s recipe, and made a few more tweaks myself! I also tested it with both wheat flour and gluten-free flour for more options. And I took some photos to show you the delicious results!
I stuck with Erin’s decision to use a non-hydrogenated shortening in these triple chocolate brownie cookies, because I find that it holds up better in dairy-free cookies whether their baked at low or high altitude. Buttery spread contains both oil and water, so separation can occur and result in a greasy cookie. I think that coconut oil might work in place of the shortening (I used Nutiva, which is a palm-coconut hybrid), but I haven’t tested it yet.
Some of you might be concerned about chocolate, but dairy-free chocolate is a real thing! To help in selecting chocolate chips, see my Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips Guide. Unsweetened chocolate should be dairy free by ingredients, but some brands are made on shared equipment with milk. I like Hershey’s Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bar and Sharffen Berger Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Bars, both of which are certified kosher parve.
Special Diet Notes: Triple Chocolate Brownie Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour, wheat flour, or gluten-free flour blend (all have been tested!)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup non-hydrogenated shortening (like Nutiva or Spectrum)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 1 (10-ounce) bag)
- Put the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Put the chocolate and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Whisk the chocolate well. If not fully melted, heat in 15 second intervals until just melted. Do not overheat the chocolate.
- Put the sugar, and eggs to a large mixing bowl, and beat with a hand mixer for about 1 minute, or until combined. Add the melted chocolate mixture and vanilla, and stir to combine. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls, and place them about 2 inches apart on your baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they look just baked on top.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. If using gluten-free flour, you might need to let them cool for 5 to 10 minutes on the baking sheet before attempting to remove them.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Freeze the cookies to enjoy them later.
Key Pantry Ingredients: Triple Chocolate Brownie Cookies