This recipe for sweet potato coconut curry soup is a “savory” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Margee Berry. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Culinary Coconut Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Sweet Potato Coconut Curry Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian. In fact, they are generally top food allergy-friendly.
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups peeled cubed organic sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- ⅓ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup large flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1-1/2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Culinary Coconut Milk
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in large saucepan, add sweet potato and onion, saute 5 minutes.
- Trim end off lemongrass, finely chop white end part of stalk just about 1-inch up from the bottom. Add chopped lemongrass, ginger, curry powder and salt to saucepan; saute 1 minute more. Pour in water and cover with lid, cook until sweet potatoes are fork tender about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile stir cilantro and remaning oil in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a small skillet toast coconut over medium heat shaking skillet often until golden all over about 4 minutes, set aside.
- To serve working in batches puree sweet potato mixture in food processor or blender; add pureed mixture back to saucepan, add coconut milk and whisk over medium heat until warmed through. Ladle soup into 4 bowls, add a dollop of cilantro and sprinkle with toasted coconut.